Dr. Daniela Ortiz Avram is Teaching Coordinator and Senior Researcher at the Institute for Business Ethics and Sustainable Strategy (IBES).
She studied philosophy with a specialization in ethics and anthropology at the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross (Rome), where she also completed her doctoral studies. She also holds a Master’s degree in business administration from the University of Innsbruck.
From 2016 to 2019, she headed the “Competence Team for Sustainable, Strategic and Opportunity-Oriented Management of SMEs” at FHWien der WKW, sponsored by the City of Vienna.
Prior to this, Dr. Ortiz Avram worked as Associate Researcher at the Research Center Markets, Culture and Ethics (MCE) in Rome and as a research assistant at the Management Center Innsbruck (MCI).
Dr. Ortiz Avram researches, teaches and advises as an expert in the following areas:
- Strategic CSR & Sustainability Management
- Corporate Responsibility & Business Ethics
- Leadership & Sustainability
Her research has been published in leading international journals, including:
- Journal of Business Ethics
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- International Journal of Management Education
In addition to her academic activities, Dr. Ortiz Avram is PRME coordinator (Principles for Responsible Management Education, a network of the United Nations Global Compact) at FHWien der WKW and a member of the PRME working group on “Sustainability Mindset“.
She is involved in training and further education programmes for managers and is regularly invited as an expert on sustainability management topics in scientific and private sector contexts. She is also a juror for the TRIGOS Prize, an Austrian award for responsible management.
Specialization and Competence
Areas of Specialization
- Strategic CSR & Sustainability Management, especially in SMEs
- Business Ethics: Guiding Principles of a Sustainable and Ethical Management
Areas of Competence
- Development of Co-Creative Research Designs for Collaboration with Managers
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Teaching Methods for Sustainability Management
- Ortiz, D. (2018) ‘Ethics and Order of the Free Market. Wilhelm Röpke's Fundamental Political Ethics’, Roma: MCEbooks, EDUSC.
- Ortiz, D., Domnanovich, J., Kronenberg, C. & Scholz, M. (2018) ‘Exploring the Integration of Corporate Social Responsibility into the Strategies of Small-and Medium-Sized Enterprises: A Systematic Literature Review’, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 201, pp. 254-271.
- Ortiz, D. & Huber-Heim, K. (2017) ‘From Information to Empowerment: Teaching Sustainable Business Development by Enabling an Experiential and Participatory Problem-Solving Process in the Classroom’, The International Journal of Management Education, Vol. 15, pp. 318-331.
- Ortiz, D. & Kühne, S. (2008) ‘Implementing Responsible Business Behavior from a Strategic Management Perspective: Developing a Framework for Austrian SMEs’, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 82 (2), pp. 463-475.
- Ortiz, D., Czuray, M. & Scholz, M. (2020) ‘Verantwortungsvolle Unternehmensführung im österreichischen Mittelstand – Vision und Praxis’, Wiesbaden: Springer Gabler.
- Schlag, M. & Ortiz, D. (2018) ‘Poverty, Injustice, and Inequality as Challenges for Christian Humanism’, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot.
- Mercado, J. A., Ortiz, D. & Scotti, B. (2016) ‘Business for Good. Perspectives for a More Humane Economy’, Roma: EDUSC.
- Ortiz, D. (2016) ‘Aligning Economic and Ethical Imperatives in Business’, In: Mercado, J. A., Ortiz, D. & Scotti, B. (Eds.): Business for Good. Perspectives for a More Humane Economy, Roma: MCEbooks, EDUSC, pp. 15-84.
- Ortiz, D. (2018) ‘Educating Business Students Towards the Common Good: Applying the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a Teaching Tool for Intellectual and Practical Engagement’, Conference “Building Institutions for the Common Good: The Purpose and Practice of Business in an Inclusive Economy”, Minneapolis (US).
- Ortiz, D., Domnanovich, J. & Kronenberg, C. (2018) ‘The Integration of Corporate Social Responsibility into Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises: Formality in Informality?’, 34th EGOS Colloquium, Tallinn (EE).
- Ortiz, D. & Domnanovich, J. (2017) ‘Perceiving and Implementing Corporate Social Responsibility from an SME Perspective’, 31st British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Warwick (UK).
- Ortiz, D. & Kronenberg, C. (2017) ‘Strategische Integration von Corporate Responsibility in österreichischen KMU – Weiterentwicklung eines Erhebungsmodells’, 11. Forschungsforum der österreichischen Fachhochschulen, Krems (AT).
- Ortiz, D. & Huber-Heim, K. (2016) ‘From Information to Empowerment: Teaching Sustainable Development Strategies by Enabling a Participatory Problem-Solving Process in the Classroom’, 5th Colloquium on Christian Humanism in Business and Economics: Christian Humanism Challenged by Poverty, Inequality and Injustice, Berlin (DE).
- Ortiz, D. (2016) ‘Integrating Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) into Strategy by Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises’, 19th IESE International Symposium on Ethics, Business and Society, Barcelona (ES).
- Ortiz, D. & Domnanovich, J. (2016) ‘Integrating CSR into Strategy by SMEs: A Systematic Literature Review’, EMOC Conference on Business Ethics and Competitiveness in SMEs, Vienna (AT).
- Ortiz, D. (2014) ‘Fighting Extreme Poverty and Creating Inclusive Markets – Aligning Economic and Ethical Imperatives of the Private Business Sector’, Research Report, November, MCE Research Centre, Rome.
- Schweiger, C., Ortiz, D. (2019) ‘4 Prinzipien für HR als Change Agent’, HRweb, Heft 4.
- Ortiz, D. & Czuray, M. (2019) ‘Nachbericht zur Abschlussveranstaltung des CR4SME Projekts’, Forum Wirtschaftsethik., Link
- Scholz, M. & Ortiz, D. (2018) ‘CSR und Wirtschaftsethik an Hochschulen’, CSR Magazin, Ausgabe 01, pp. 26.
- Ortiz, D., Czuray, M. & Zipperer, M. (2018) ‘Gut zu Wissen III’, Magazin Color, Heft 5, pp. 12-13.
- Ortiz, D., Czuray, M. & Zipperer, M. (2018) ‘respACT #ThinkTank fördert Dialog zu Nachhaltigkeit zwischen Wirtschaft und Wissenschaft’, APA OTS, November 26.
- Ortiz, D. (2015) ‘Zur Rolle privater Akteure, insbesondere Unternehmen, bei Armutsbekämpfung und Schaffung eines inklusiven Wirtschaftssystems’, Forum Wirtschaftsethik, Heft 1, pp. 10-13.
- Ortiz, D. & Kronenberg, C. (2018) ‘Management der sozialen Verantwortung in KMU’, Keynote bei Business Frühstück der UBIT-Gruppe „csr experts“, Wirtschaftskammer Wien, Vienna (AT), May 30.